Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Little Mexican in You

Filipino's just like the people of Mexico loves to eat "taco". I still remember the first time I tasted a Mexican Taco when I was 9 years old. My mother use to take me to this supermarket in Cebu City named Foodarama Supermarket. This was one of the famous supermarket located in Mango Ave., in the early 80's and every time my mother would pick me up from school we would stop by this store to get some groceries and she would treat me to a very delicious Mexican taco. That was the first for me and since then Taco was a popular food for me and my friends. Another food store that served Mexican Taco was Orange Brutus. It was located also at Mango Ave., but just across my school and my friends and I would just cross to dine during our lunch break. Orange Brutus served different kinds of burgers, a wiener and the best ever tasting Mango shake was a fad during those days...just a few more months, Mexican Tacos arrived served with different flavors. Tacos were always known for its crunchy taco shells, ground beef, tomatoes, lettuce and cheese. This was simple but Orange Brutus came up with fillings that were to die for and it certainly was popular for a lot of Cebuano's who loved to eat Mexican food. As I grew older my family and I moved here to Manila and with my cousin's who were more of the outgoing people invited me to dine at Tacomio. This food joint served soft taco and crispy taco that made my curiosity grow. I was really thinking how would a soft taco look like and taste like? I ordered up and the difference was it looked more of like a tortilla or a quesadilla...very Mexican but very delicious too. Tacomio would serve them just the way you like it and the Hot Salsa is hot as ever. This Mexican Taco inspired a lot of Filipinos to appreciate the Mexican style of cooking. I have my own version of my very own soft tortilla Tacomio.

A Healthy Quesadilla

Ingredients:

1 pack of tortilla (pita bread)
1 whole chicken breast boiled
5 tomatos chopped into small pieces
1 big white onion chopped into small pieces
1 whole water lettuce
1/2 cup of grated cheese
parsley chopped
1 can of sliced mushrooms cut into small pieces
salt and pepper
1 bell pepper green or red (you may use more than 1 depending on the size of the vegetable)
1 bottle of Mexican Salsa (your brand of choice)

Procedure:

Bring chicken breast to boil until cooked and remove from water then shred chicken mix with salt and pepper and put aside. Get tomatos, onions, bell pepper, parsley and mushrooms and chopped into small pieces then set aside. Grate 1/2 cup of quick melt cheese set aside. Prepare 1 whole leaf of water lettuce and 1 piece of Tortilla.
Take a tortilla and place a leaf of water lettuce then get a small amount of shredded chicken and some tomatos, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, parsley and grated cheese, add Mexican salsa to taste. Fold the Tortilla into half and on a skillet bring Tortilla to toast until cheese would melt. Do the rest of the Tortilla. Serve hot.

Note: All ingredients would depend on your serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment