Monday, May 25, 2009

Beef on Tamarind Soup Base (Sinigang na Baka)


We all call her "Mama" our grandmother, and I could remember that she would always expect her children to visit her during Sundays at her home. My family and I would travel almost an hour and a half just to visit her and she would always prepare the most delightful food and set it on the table especially when it comes to my Dad's favorite Filipino dish, "Sinigang na Baka ( Beef on Tamarind Soup Base). This very delectable kind of sour, and spicy kind of dish that makes the Filipino eat more, because, not only that it smells good and healthy but it also taste so good.
I remember, when I first learned to cook this dish that I was so afraid to add the Tamarind because I do not know how much sourness it would need. My mother guided me through the cooking and fortunately, I was able to perfect this dish. Whenever my Dad would ask what's for lunch and I say "Sinigang na Baka" po, my Dad's response would always be...Wow!!! =)

Let me share my recipe and hope you can try it at home and make your family a wonderful and delightful Filipino dish that has been an all time favorite.


"Beef on Tamarind Soup Base" (Sinigang na Baka)

Ingredients:

1 kilo beef [for stewing, cut into cubes]
12 pcs. sampaloc [tamarind] or 1 pack of Tamarind Soup Base powder
2 onions [diced]
6 tomatoes [quartered]
2 pcs. radish [sliced diagonally]
4 pieces gabi [yam, peeled and cubed]
2 pieces eggplant [sliced diagonally]
1 bundle sitaw [stringbeans, cut into 2 inches in length]
1 bundle kangkong leaves
4 pieces green sili
6 cups water
Salt and Patis (fish sauce) to taste


Procedures:

Boil tamarind to soften. Pound and strain all juices and set aside.
In a large pot, bring beef to a boil, lower fire and simmer for an hour or two until beef is tender.
Take out all scum that rises to the surface.
Add onions, tomatoes and tamarind juice, followed by gabi, and cook for a few minutes.
Add in eggplant, sitaw and green sili (jalapenos)
Season with salt and patis to taste.
Add in kangkong leaves. Remove from heat and serve hot
.

"Cooking is never far to treat a family during Sundays."

No comments:

Post a Comment